Sunday, September 9, 2007

First Win

Adapting into a new environment was a little hard at first. I'm living with a group of guys from different places and I'm one of the few from Sarawak. Coincidently most of us have an interest in playing basketball. From my first weekend in Miri, we started playing basketball together. Then on the second week of school, we spotted a basketball tournament notice. We then formed a team of 8 players and named our team "Freshmen" because we were all in first year degree. On the 2nd of September we had our first game against Curtin's second group representatives. We lost the match as we were defeated by them around 30 points. I performed badly on that game and was really upset with myself. Playing ball for the rest of the days after that game didn't turn up so well either. Didn't know what happened to me, maybe I was thinking too much and my friends were trying to cheer me up. Yesterday, we had our second game against "All Rookies" (note: Blue Jersey team) a team which had won their first game against a senior team. I had a slow start as i missed a couple of shots and had a few turnovers but our team kept up with the score. In the end our team won by 10+ points. I only scored 4 points but had plenty of rebounds, steals, and assists. As the captain of my team, I am not as experienced as a few of my teammates who are used to playing in official tournaments like these back in Klang. Still not satisfied with my performance and I feel that someone who is more capable than me should become the captain instead. I feel that I could have scored more points if we had better teamwork but I understand that teamwork doesn't come in just a small matter of time. A couple of friends managed to take photos of us playing ball while cheering us on. Unfortunately, I only have a picture of the lakeside because my friends did not take photos of the school yet...haih. We celebrated our first win by having a big dinner in a group of 15 people. Our next game will probably be on next week and we are aiming for another win. Prizes for this tournament is around RM 500 + a trophy. Really hope that we can create a better teamwork throughout this tournament and I'm confident that we can.


Getting ready for the match

Jump Ball


Defensive post

Passing the ball to Heng Siang


Cutting through 2 defenders


Team "Freshmen"

Lakeside and the Island View 1

Lakeside and the Island View 2



* Actually I wanted a jersey with a no #3 on it but it wasn't usable here so instead I got a no# 13 which is actually my lucky number...I think it is because I seem to come across no.13 a lot of times.

3 comments:

~Laura~ said...

congrats for the winning!! =) keep it up!! ;p all the best ya!! Win the RM500 ya.. haha..

Blank said...

I formed a futsal math with 11 people..my team lost by 2 goals..i was really disappointed with myself so ive decided to play next saturday and put more teamwork into it..sama gang la us

Joe said...

Thank u Laura. I got a feeling we shitted at the same time too Avery, sama gang la us. Only tat i wiped my ass after tat but u did'nt.